Every Christmas I think I become a New Person but my grandmother's stuffed melomakarona helped a little more to it!
I do not really know if there is a translation in other language about them, but when I think of Christmas I always remember their taste on my palate...
So I share this precious recipe with you:)
What you need:
For the dough:
2 cups sunflower oil
250gr butter (melted)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cups cognac
3/4 cups orange juice
1 tsp (fat) baking powder
orange zest (a lot)
and flour - there is not exact amount I can only show you how the dough should be:) around 1kg I would say...
For the filling:
All kinds of marmalades, sweet fruits, nuts depending on your taste
For the syrup:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp honey
Decoration: Powder sugar
1. Put all your ingredients together except for the flour and mix well
2. Start adding the flour little by little until it is well incorporated and then..
4. Put in the processor all your goodies, nuts, sweetened fruits, clove, cinnamon and orange zest!
5. It should be something like this, and put aside
9. Seal on top and... voila
10. I had a problem thou so their appearance did not come out every good, but the taste never disappoints me:) Bake for around 30 min at 180° or until golden brown!
11. In the meantime prepare the syrup but do not let it boil, and let aside so that it gets a little bit cooler.
12. When the 'melomakarona' are ready let them cool but not completely and dip them into the syrup for a few seconds and let them dry on kitchen paper. When they are completely cool you can then decorate with powder sugar:)
14. And serve..
From the heart,